The Old Orangery was built to house exotic trees in the winter season. It is also a place which is very closely linked to art and culture. The Royal Theatre is situated in the Old Orangery, as is the Gallery containing Stanisław August’s collection of sculptures.
The Old Orangery was raised in the years 1785-88, according to a design by Domenico Merlini, court architect to King Stanisław August. The Royal Theatre is one of the few surviving authentic eighteenth century court theatres in Europe, and the only one of its kind in Poland.