Château-d'Oex is 958 m above sea level in the Alps "vaudoises", near Gstaad. The Temple was built at the beginning of the 15th century on this hill. A big fire burned all the wooden parts and it was rebuilt with a new bell tower in a "Baroque" style in 1802. It is a culmination of the village of Château d'Oex, and on the other side a bucolic and flowery walk from the village!
The roof of the bell tower is made of "tavillons", a technique typically used for the roofs of alpine chalets and also for the walls of some traditional chalets. These are strips of local wood, arranged in superimposed rows nailed together, a technique that requires some expertise!